Statement of Understanding Between the West Essex Amateur Radio Club, Red Cross Liaison and The American Red Cross Metropolitan New Jersey Chapter
The purpose of this document is to state the terms of understanding between the West Essex Amateur Radio Club, the Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) and the American Red Cross Metropolitan New Jersey Chapter. This document will serve as a frame work within which the volunteer Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) and other licensed amateur radio personnel will coordinate amateur radio emergency networks, equipment and personnel with the American Red Cross for disaster relief communications in the local area of Northern New Jersey.
This document is not intended to replace or revise the "Statement of Understanding Between The American Radio Relay League, Inc. and The American National Red Cross'" #ARC2213.
Methods of Cooperation
1. The American Red Cross Metropolitan New Jersey Chapter will maintain regular liaison with the West Essex Amateur Radio Club. The liaison will provide for the closest possib1e cooperation and direct operational assistance to the chapter by the West Essex .Amateur Radio Club.
2. The American Red Cross we1comes the cooperation and .assistance of the Amateur Radio community in planning and meeting the emergency communications needs necessitated by a disaster. The American Red Cross will provide all members of the West Essex Amateur Radio Club with basic disaster response training at no cost. This will include first aid and CPR training as well as American Red Cross emergency communications procedures.
3. Whenever a disaster impacts the Northern New Jersey area, the American Red Cross will request the members of the 'West Essex Amateur Radio Club to provide licensed amateur radio operators to respond to the chapter headquarters. These radio operators will provide the following service.
A. Use Amateur radio equipment and frequencies to alert and notify appropriate personnel and agencies that the Chapter is available on the radio networks and the equipment is staffed, Along with staffing hours.
B. Establish a complete radio network of mobile, portable and fixed radio sites for the purpose of maintaining communications between chapter personnel emergency shelters, vehicles and facilities.
C. Establish a radio network between the Metropolitan New Jersey Chapter Headquarters and neighboring Red Cross Chapters in New Jersey.
4. The American Red Cross will cooperate with the West Essex Amateur Radio Club as representative of ARES and the American Radio Relay League in maintaining their relationship with the chapter and the West Essex Amateur Radio Club.
5. This Statement of Understanding is in effect as of the date below and shall remain in effect until termination by written Notification from either party.
March 22, 2005
John Rinciari Harold Engelke
Director of Emergency Services W2IBM/NNN0UMD
American Red Cross West Essex Amateur Radio Club
Metropolitan New Jersey Chapter and NNJ ARES